Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pen Pal to Deanna From Story of a Girl

Dear Deanna,
            Hi! My name is Meredith, and I read your amazing but depressing story about your 
My lacrosse team!
            I truly thought that Story of a Girl was an incredibly good book.  There are so many things that happened to you in this book that happen to people every day.  You personally know that you made a mistake by “doing stuff” with Tommy, and you had to learn the hard way that what you do to yourself and your life stays with you forever. Fortunately, I was able to read this book, so I didn’t need to learn the hard way what you dealt with. I can’t even imagine how you were feeling for mostly the whole book. Getting caught by your dad is just one horrible thing, but being humiliated every day for the next two plus years of your life is even worse. Oh and having to deal with Tommy at work every day? I can’t even imagine. I think that you dealt with it all very well.  At the end of the book when you confronted Tommy about everything that you were dealing with for all of those years was so great! I was so proud of you for speaking your mind and finally telling him what he put you through. Also, I think when you got into the fight with Lee, you could have handled it a little bit better, but made up by the end so all is good.  I think that you are a huge role model. You taught me that everyone makes mistakes, but it’s how you handle the mistakes and change from them that really matters. You also taught me how to be determined and not care what people think about you.
            The author Sara Zarr’s writing style for your book was really good.  She did a really fantastic job on making the book seem real life. There are a lot of books that are just this happened then that happened and then we all lived happily ever after, but that doesn’t happen all the time. It rarely ever happens. In Story of a Girl, it was tremendously real. You did things with a guy and you immediately regret it, but there was nothing you could do about it. Your dad caught you with the boy, and he couldn’t even look at you for maybe more than two years. That kind of stuff happens!  Maybe not as crazy as your story, but families get in fights, they don’t talk, but they get over it. They confront each other about how they are feeling and they accept each other, just like what finally happened to you in the end of your book. It starts off with a few little conversations that show you still care for and love each other than by time you guys are fine. And the whole Tommy situation, you’re a girl. Every girl loves attention. Sometimes people, like you, do stuff to get the wrong attention and the whole school finds out about it. Students will pick on you, talk about you behind your back and maybe even to your face, but who cares about those people?  They are just so wrapped up in their own little world where they have to be making fun of someone all the time. They don’t matter. All that matters is you have a few people like you brother, Lee, Jason, Stacy, and even your mom that will be there for you. No matter what.
            I have a few questions about this book that I would like to ask you. First of all, when you saw that Tommy was working at the same pizza place as you, why didn’t you just walk out?  I know you said you wanted to but the boss begged you to stay, but you still could have left. But I’m asking you, why did you stay? Did you think you could handle working with him?  I think you made the right decision staying there and facing your “fear” but I was just wondering why you stayed. My next question is when you said, “I didn’t love him, I’m not even sure that I liked him,” meaning Tommy, if you didn’t like him then why would you go that far? We all know that people make mistakes and girls love to have attention, but if you didn’t even like him, why would you do anything at all? That’s just something I don’t really understand.
            I think that the social issues in this book, strained family life, isolation, and depression, are very serious subjects. I think that people should become more aware about how serious these issues really are. I would personally like to raise awareness on how strain family life and how when your family won’t talk to you messed with your head so much which could lead to isolation from friends and depression. Depression is one of the more serious issues in this book. Being depressed is very dangerous, and it could lead to cutting and hurting yourself, to even suicide.  Luckily, nothing that serious happened to you.  I definitely think that Story of a Girl has changed the way I think about  a lot of serious problems. I always thought isolation was more of a choice and some people like to stick to themselves, I am way more aware now that talking about people and bullying leads to isolation and maybe even later on depression. No one wants to be alone, obviously you know firsthand how that feels and I’m sure you would never want anyone else to go through what happened to you. I think everyone should learn that talking about people is bullying and it leads to isolation and depression. You don’t know what’s going on at home, like your situation, so don’t talk about them. It’s such a mean and hurtful thing to do.
            Well I have really enjoyed writing this to you, I learned a lot from Story of a Girl. I have learned how important it is to think before you act because something like what happened to you could happen to anyone. I also learned how serious depression, isolation, and strained family life issues really are. I really enjoyed reading Story of a Girl. My only advice for you is to keep doing what you’re doing because you have really improved! Keep on standing up for yourself and don’t let anyone take advantage of you.  Thank you so much for your time!
                                    Sincerely,
                             Meredith H.

No comments:

Post a Comment